Monday, November 12, 2012

Laughter is the best medicine

"The Blue Bottle" - Tiny Book Art Charm, by Kia Dallons

This was a really neat swap! - A coming together of a wonderful bunch of artists to raise money for Beads of Courage, a support program for children with cancer. We each contributed an Art Charm on the theme of laughter. ( The exact book featured in this post is the one in the auction, FYI.  )  

Goes live Nov 12, 2012  - 3:00 pm, EST!


We are also doing a "blog hop", so I will list the other artist's blogs at the end of this post, for those who would like to see what everyone else did as well. There are some seriously talented people in this group!

The inspiration for my charm is a favorite camp song about a magical blue bottle which holds the ingredients for a summer day. Do you want to read it?!    

The Blue Bottle / I have a little present here for you, inside this tiny bottle so very small and blue. / But don't you dare uncork it, or everything will get away. / Thought you might like your own summer's day. / Now she who is a-reading me, and is looking at my side, might be kind of interested at what lies inside...?  /  Holds one breath of a butterfly, one ray from the sun... / ...and lots and lots of laughter from little children's fun! / But don't you dare uncork it, or everything will get away. Thought you might like your own /  summer's day! / Put it on away. 

The text was done in Business Card Composer, and ported over to Photoshop for the page layout. Printed, and then free-hand illustrated with Crayola pencils. Don't laugh! I was lucky to have found the few I did. ( Where are my good colored pencils? ) I had to raid my son's art box. Thankfully, he had the colors I needed. 
Pages, before separating. Printed text, freehand illustrated with colored pencils.  

Book Construction

Each of the glueing stages was allowed to completely dry before going on to the next stage. I use tons of clothespins to hold things in place while they dry. The pages are glued back to back, using a glue stick.
Fold
Glue the pages back to back, and trim the end flaps.
Jacket: I used Aileen's Brush On Tacky Glue, both to hold it together, and to coat the exterior to give it a nice, slick, protective veneer. 

Jacket: cardboard, paper, ribbon, glue. 
Interior: Glue page flaps to jacket, cover with lovely heavy-weight paper. 
Ribbon: Glue it on, leaving a long tail.
Ribbon: Fold it back and glue it to itself. Trim the tail if it's too long.
Ribbon: Tuck tail under and glue. Add clasp! 
The clasp, and all the findings are my copper wirework. 
"The Blue Bottle" - Tiny Book Art Charm, by Kia Dallons


All the tiny bottles. Each one is different. I had fun making them, and experimenting. 
Tiny Bottles - Lampwork glass, copper wirework and cherrywood "corks", by Kia Dallons. 



Auction Site



Contributing Artist's Blogs











Denielle Hagerman http://somebeadsandotherthings.com  







Jennifer Cameron http://wp.me/p1xIa0-wn















Natalie McKenna http://www.grubbi.co.uk/ 



Robin Koza http://www.robinkoza.com  









35 comments:

  1. That is just a very brilliant and heartfelt charm. What a lot of work went into them! I love the sweet thought of a bottle holding the ingredients for a summer's day. That just makes my heart smile. Thanks for sharing your talents with this swap! I didn't get yours but will watch the auction for a chance! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did take a long time to make, but it was a labor of love. : ) I have to admit, it's not the first time this song has inspired a project. Enjoy your day too! What could be nicer than perusing a whole bunch of art blogs? : D

      Delete
  2. That book is the most beautiful, intricate charm I've ever seen. What an incredible design, and the finished product is so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comments! I enjoyed making them. : )

      Delete
  3. Kia, I had to read your post over several times; now you've got me wanting to make little books. One would be fun; eleven? a pile of work! And the little bottle is too sweet for words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doooo It! Warning tho, it's addictive! I've made a number of tiny books for other swaps. ( Check back in blog here to see ) I've even hosted two tiny book charm swaps ( Tiny Pop-ups, and Children's Lit ) . I figure if I'm making one, I might as well make a bunch, just because I've already got all the stuff out, and there is a lot of glue drying time between stages. : )

      Delete
  4. OMG, Kia, I can't even imagine the patience you need to create those exquisite little books! They are gorgeous, they are perfect and any child will love them!

    P.S. Would you be so kind and take the 'word verification' off? I am sure you would get way more comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw shoot.. Thank you. I really do enjoy making them.

    Word verification gone! Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention! I had no idea. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I love the books!!! Great work!!1

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow -- what a fabulous interpretation of laugh! and the amount of work you put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Genius. Sheer genius. I love it, I'm searching for words here - I'll stick with genius! I love your post too, you did a marvelous job showing the process

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blushes* Thank you so much. I plan to do more tutorials in the future, too.

      Delete
  9. Wow Kia that is a great art piece...so much work and you did ELEVEN. Wow. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Actually, I did 16. : D There are 8 books worth of pages on every regular size paper I printed, so I figured why not? The rest will go up in my ArtFire studio after the auction.

      Delete
  10. Kia, I can't get over how much work you put into that little tiny book charm! It's amazing!!! And you make it sound so easy. Just adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really is pretty easy... just time consuming. : )

      Delete
  11. Ok, maybe easy for you, not so much for me! I love seeing the entire process, and this is such a beautiful charm! Next year I'm gonna make more charms so I can be in two groups! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. : ) Be careful! Making Art Charms is addictive! The group I usually trade with has several swaps a month, and I learned the hard way to pick and choose, LOL!

      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ArtCharms/

      Delete
  12. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kia, thanks so much for sharing this opportunity to browse through so many fabulous works of tiny art!! I LOVE your book. The little blue bottle is amazing. xo Lorie

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful for you to share your process as well as your incredible charms - thanks so much, Kia!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Trong thị trường bảng quảng cao hiện nay không thể không nhắc tới bảng hiệu bạt cái tên Xa nhưng không hề lạ với khách hàng.Đây là một sự lựa chọn hoàn hảo cho các doanh nghiệp, công ty, cơ quan đoàn thể khi thực hiện chiến lược truyền thông của mình để thu hút sự chú ý và tiếp cận của khách hàng.Tuy nhiên trên thị trường có quá nhiều sự lựa chọn làm khách hàng phân van thì hôm nay chúng ta cùng nhau tìm hiểu kĩ thêm chút nhé:
    -Bảng hiệu bạt hiflex:Sản phẩm được sự dụng dụng phổ biến trên thị trường quảng cáo với chất liệu nhựa (PVC),có màu trắng sữa cố thể chịu nắng,mưa,co giãn tốt.Sau khi phủ lên một lớp màng, hiflex dùng để in các sản phẩm text...rất đẹp.Giá thành rẻ ,chất lượng bền,tái sự dụng dễ dàng.
    -Bảng hiệu bạt 2 da:Là bảng hiệu cao câp,cho chất lượng in và độ nét mịn,độ xuyên sáng,phản sáng rât cao (gần giống như ảnh)
    -Bảng hiệu 3M: Theo khảo sát thì bảng hiệu nay được các ngân hàng sự dụng hầu hết bởi mẫu mã và độ bền hộp đèn bảng hiệu 3M. Ngoài ra,thi công nhah gọn,bảo hành dài hạn,ánh sáng chuẩn,màu sắc theo yêu cầu, độ bền trên 5 năm
    4.Bảng hiệu hộp đèn.
    bảng hiệu alu
    bảng hiệu đèn led
    bảng hiệu đèn led giá rẻ
    biển quảng cáo led
    hộp đèn
    chữ mica hút nổi
    bảng hiệu
    Ngày nay,có rất nhiều loại hộp đèn quảng cáo sáng tạo và phá cách làm kích thích tính tò mò của khách hàng.Đặc biệt những bảng quảng cáo đèn được rất nhiều khách hàng lựa chọn ,từ xưa đên nay vì đặc biệt những ánh đèn Led giúp bảng của chúng ta vẫn nổi bật khi trời tối hay nói cách khác đây là bảng hình được bắt mắt nhất hiện nay.Có khá nhiều loại hộp đen để khách hàng lựa chọn đầu tiên khi nhắc tới hộp đèn không thể không nhắc.
    -Hộp đèn mica hút nổi: Đây là hộp đèn làm bằng chất liệu mica nung nóng và hút nổi để tạo hình theo mẫu thiết kế giúp bảng hiệu đảm bảo đồ bền và sự tinh tế.
    -Hộp đèn led:Hộp đèn led được sự dụng rất nhiều ở các trung tâm và thành phố lớn đặc biệt là saigon bởi hộp đèn led gây sự chú ý tới đám đông cực kì hiểu quả, đánh giá vào cái nhìn khách quan đối với khách hàng với công ty.
    -Hộp đèn siêu mỏng: Cũng giống về tính chất của hộp đèn nhưng hộp đèn siêu mỏng cải thiện rất nhiều khi khách hàng mong muốn tính thẩm mĩ cao. Thiết kế bằng đèn led siêu mỏng không làm giảm độ sáng mà còn tiếp kiệm chi phí điện hiểu quả thích hợp cho nhà hàng sang trọng hay sự thanh lịch cho bảng hiệu.
    -Hộp đèn mica: Hộp đèn làm bằng chất liệu mica không thể hiện rõ lên bề mặt mà tuỳ vào yêu cầu của khách hàng mà đáp ứng nhu cầu của bảng hiệu vơi giá thành cực rẻ mà vẫn đem lại hiệu quả rất cao.
    QUẢNG CÁO ĐẠI PHÁT
    SĐT: 0935 79 00 28
    Website: quangcaodaiphathcm.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is truly a well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so engaged in this material that I couldn’t wait reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thanks. nembutal pills for sale

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can nicely write on similar topics! Welcome to here you'll find out how it should look. how long before cbd oil works

    ReplyDelete
  22. They're additionally given a role as heels, supposedly made because of the McMahon family's conviction that the extreme right cost Linda the race. A label fight between these two appears to be a characteristic fit, with Darren Young give a role as the hero. Industrial Glue Guns

    ReplyDelete